Sale and Purchase of a Business
Sale of Business
We encourage clients who are selling a business to contact us at the earliest opportunity. There are a number of important steps that can be taken to maximize the price of the business and to minimize the potential problems that can arise during the sale process.
Some of the areas where we can assist by receiving early instructions include:
• Discussing apportionment of price with your accountant;
• Advising on tax effective strategies for the sale;
• Advising on what conditions are normal and what should be avoided;
• Reviewing lease and contract documents;
• Reviewing employee issues and entitlements.
Purchase of Business
Early contact with us is also very important when buying a business. Once terms are agreed in principle it is very difficult to negotiate something else, even if the conditions are quite unfavourable.
We can also help with:
• Advice on the appropriate structure with your accountant – company, trust, etc;
• Shareholders’ agreements;
• Due diligence;
• Early review of proposed conditions of purchase;
• GST & stamp duty advice.